Part of the excitement of life on planet earth is changing seasons. Each season brings with it unique activities, holidays, and events. Winter is coming, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays will be here, and snow will fall in Connecticut. Summer pests like bees and wasps are no longer a problem, and the mosquitoes are quickly disappearing, but winter brings its own set of pests.
As the temperature drops, many outdoor pests will look for warmer, sheltered environments in our houses. Protect your New Haven home from a home invasion of winter pests by contacting the New Haven pest control experts from Connecticut Pest Elimination, LLC. For over 25 years, we have been protecting homes from winter pests, and we can do the same for you!
What Pests Are Still A Problem In Winter?
While cold temperatures kill many summer pests, some find outdoor areas to hibernate, while others move into New Haven homes seeking warmth, food, and shelter. Winter pests in Connecticut include:
- Spiders: Arachnids seek shelter in New Haven homes in crawlspaces, basements, attics, and living areas.
- Cluster flies: These flies instinctively seek warm spaces like attics and voids in walls.
- Stink bugs: The most common in Connecticut is the brown marmorated stink bug, and they hide for the winter under beds, behind baseboards, in the crawlspace, basement, and attic.
- Boxelder bugs: These pests hide in window and door casings, wall voids, attics, and basements.
- Cockroaches: These filthy pests locate in moist warm areas like under appliances, bathroom drains, and basements.
- Fleas: Temperatures below 40℉ kill adult fleas, so they enter homes on rodents and pets. Once inside the house, they hide in furniture, carpeting, beds, and hardwood floor cracks.
- Asian lady beetles: Although some ladybug species shelter under rocks and leaves for the winter, others enter our homes. Asian lady beetles are particularly attracted to white structures.
- Silverfish: These shiny, scally, wiggly creatures lurk in poorly ventilated crawlspaces and other humid areas of the house.
- Carpenter ants: These destructive pests bore holes in the wood in walls, hollow doors, insulation, and wooden structures.
In addition to these pests, rodents in New Haven invading homes seeking food and shelter during the winter include mice, rats, and raccoons. Although bats don't typically invade our houses, they may move into an outdoor barn on the property to hibernate.
Five Reasons You Need Winter Pest Control
Many people think pest control in New Haven is necessary only when there is an abundance of flies, wasps, bees, and mosquitoes swirling around our properties; others only consider it when they see a swarm of termites in the spring or fall. Here are five reasons why you need winter pest control:
- Thwart an infestation in the spring from pests and rodents who have overwintered in your house
- Stop pests and rodents from contaminating food and surfaces
- Protect your family from diseases
- Prevent structural damage from rodents and pests
- Safeguard your family and pets from bites from spiders, rats, and others
For prevention and protection, pest control in Connecticut is necessary for the winter months.
Tips To Prevent Common Winter Pests
Your house does not need to be overrun by winter pests in New Haven! To prevent insects and rodents from invading, seal gaps and cracks, repair window screens, replace or install door sweeps, and keep outdoor garbage cans closed. Remove debris from your property, store firewood 20 feet away from the house and elevate, and ensure proper ventilation of the crawlspace, basement, and attic. Utilize these tips to maximize the success of the pest control service near you of Connecticut Pest Elimination, LLC.
Connecticut Pest Elimination, LLC: Winter Pest Prevention Experts
Connecticut Pest Elimination, LLC provides quality winter pest control in New Haven. Our experts will treat your New Haven home and create barriers to prevent a winter pest infestation. Contact us today and request your free quote.